If you have been involved in an auto accident, you must seek legal advice with a trusted auto accident attorney who specializes in this area of law. Of course human nature is such that most people “want to do the right thing,” unfortunately the system is such that it simply is not up to “the other guy.”When in fact it’s the insurance companies who dictate the outcome of most of these complaints. Naturally, these insurance companies seek to give you the least amount to cover, if at all, the doctor visits and special care required if injured during the auto accident. These insurance companies often take advantage of your condition without regard to the fairness of the matter by offering you a settlement substantially below what is acceptable. This is why it is imperative that you hire a qualified auto accident attorney.
Finding and meeting the right lawyer can seem intimidating, especially for someone who has never hired an auto collision lawyer.
Working with an Auto Injury Lawyer
If you are concerned about the statute of limitations, consider working with a lawyer. A lawyer can help you work with the insurance companies (for reasons mentioned above), file your personal injury claim with the court, and work through the details regarding the statute of limitations.
Statute of Limitations and Car Insurance
You have a certain amount of time when you get into an accident to file your claim and get it settled. Let’s see how a statute of limitations can affect you and your car insurance claim.
Statute of Limitations Defined
A statute of limitations is the term used by the legal system to define the time limits for initiating claims or other legal actions.
These time limits will vary from state to state. For example, in California, you have the following amounts of time to file a lawsuit for cases regarding auto insurance:
- 2 years for cases involving personal injury.
- 3 years for property damage.
To find out what the limits are in your state, speak with an attorney.
Why Are Statutes of Limitations Enforced?
Statutes of limitations are imposed to ensure a fair case. Setting a reasonably short deadline for a lawsuit is smart, because over time:
- Memories fade.
- Witnesses move away, disappear, or die.
- Evidence gets lost.
If you have just recently been in an auto accident or within the past 3 years, it may be worth while to speak with an auto accident attorney.
So how do you go about finding the best auto accident attorney to handle your case? Below is a list of proven suggestions from those who have been in your situation:
- Calling a reputable attorney in @city, @stateshort will put you at ease knowing you’re dealing with someone locally who knows the specific laws in @state.
- Something many may not be aware of is auto accident attorneys are eager to inform potential clients through the initial phone call on whether or not they have a case to pursue. Because car accident cases are very time-sensitive (as noted above), you should expect the attorney to quickly respond.
Here are some ideas of questions to ask during the consultation that can help evaluate whether a particular lawyer will be the best fit for your case:
- How easy will it be to get in touch with you?
- What client references do you have that can comment on your skills and trustworthiness?
- How many cases like mine have you handled in the last year?
- Who else in the office will be working on my case?
- How is payment for services handled? Are there any fees I will have to pay out of pocket during my case or at the end?
- If my case is lost and no compensation is awarded, will I still owe you something for your time and effort?
After the consultation is over, ask yourself the following questions:
- Did the auto accident attorney listen well?
- Did the attorney explain legal topics to me in terms I was able to understand?
- Did the auto attorney appear very knowledgeable about @state no-fault law and how the law applies to my specific case?
- Did the auto attorney seem to understand my medical injuries and offer to refer me to the best medical care?
Ultimately, you want to choose the auto accident lawyer that you believe will do the best job for you. Even if you choose not to hire an attorney or file a lawsuit, there is no harm in getting initial advice on steps you can take to immediately protect yourself after a serious injury from a @state auto accident.
If you or someone you know was seriously injured in a @state auto accident and would like legal advice, please call the number below – the largest law firm exclusively handling car accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases throughout the entire state.